Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Old Fashioned Pound Cake

I've been wanting to try this for a while.
It's an old recipe of my grandmother's that I've never made and my mom doesn't really remember making either. I don't even remember my grandmother making it honestly, but it was in the mix of handwritten and typed (on the old manual typewriters) recipes handed down from her.

I wasn't sure how it would turn out because it uses very different ingredients from what I'm used to but I finally just dove in and gave it a try.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well it did. It's definitely a pound cake texture and taste, very different from my usual go to bundt cakes. I think smaller portions are better with this one since it's very dense (and also not low calorie!) My favorite part was the top gets a nice crust which was yummy.

I forgot to take a photo until it had been cut into but you get the idea. I even used a very old tube pan which came from the hubby's mom and I have a feeling belonged to someone else's mother before that. Vintage. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the pan did too!


Ingredients
3 sticks butter
1 box confectioners sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 box plain flour

Directions
Cream sugar and butter. Add in eggs and vanilla. Fill empty sugar box with flour, add to mix and beat well. Pour into tube pan and place in cold oven. Bake at 350 for 1 hr and 15 minutes.

There were not a lot of instructions with this recipe so here are other things I did.

I mixed the eggs in one or two at a time not all at once.
I sprayed the vintage tube pan I used with non stick baking spray before pouring in mixture. Actually the hubby did because he was ready for baking to be done so we could eat dinner. ☺
The mix was very, very thick so I had to use a spoon and spatula to get it from bowl to pan. I also had to spread it around the pan once it was in there to even it out.
When a knife came out clean I called it done. We let it cool on a wire rack on the counter for about 10 minutes then we turned it over onto a cake plate and I flipped it back so it was right side up.

No comments:

Post a Comment