Thursday, November 17, 2016

Saltine Toffee

This dessert is so simple, but never fails to generate multiple recipe requests when I make it. I had not heard of making toffee with saltine crackers until sometime over the last few years when my mother-in-law brought it to a family gathering.

I asked her how she made it and I literally probably asked if she really meant saltine crackers at least five times, okay maybe more like three, but I just couldn't believe it. How could saltine crackers turn into this melt in your mouth deliciousness that I couldn't keep my hands out of?!

Since then I've seen similar recipes all over the internet in one form or another. This one is my favorite version though and never stays long in our house when we make it. You could get creative and use all kinds of topping combinations though, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, then top it with chopped candy bars, crushed cookies, you name it.

Ingredients
Approximately one sleeve of saltine crackers (depends on size of your baking sheet)
1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups of chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate)

Directions
Line a large cooking/baking sheet with foil. I like using one that has a slight rim on it to contain all of the sauce.
Lay out saltine crackers in a single layer, covering every inch of the cookie sheet. (You can break them off if needed to fit all the way to the edges.)
In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and then add the brown sugar and bring to a boil.
Continue on a gentle boil until sauce is thick and bubbly. (Basically you are making caramel here.)
Pour the sauce over the crackers and spread it out evenly, covering the entire sheet. I use a spatula for this. You will want to work fairly quickly to keep the sauce from setting up and becoming too sticky.
Place in a 400 degree oven for about 5-8 minutes. Watch it carefully to avoid burning. When you see it all bubbly you want to take it out for the next step.
(At this point I was apparently overcome with excitement by the smell of chocolate and took zero additional photos. Sigh. I'll try to add some later.)
Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
Return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until chips are softened enough to spread.
Spread chocolate out evenly over entire cookie sheet.
Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or longer until firm.
Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
We usually store it in the fridge to keep it from melting, but we like to pull it out and let it come to room temperature before serving. YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment