Monday, November 7, 2016

Simple Swedish Meatballs

I  have tried over the years various ways of making Swedish meatballs but none have ever really stuck with me. This one came out of my cookbook meal planning. We did change just a few things, but overall kept it close to the original from Pioneer Woman's Dinnertime cookbook.

This simple recipe was easy to make and had a good flavor. When I asked the hubby if it was a keep it or coaster, he said it was a keeper. :) So here it is.

Ingredients
1/4 cup brown mustard (we only had yellow on hand so that is what I used, and it was slightly less than 1/4 cup)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 1/4 cups beef broth
Pinch ground allspice
1 Tbsp cornstarch (we didn't have any so I used AP flour)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Meatballs (recipe below)
Noodles

Directions
In large skillet over med-high heat, add mustard, Worcestershire and 2 cups of beef broth and bring to boil. Add allspice.
Make a slurry with cornstarch (or flour in my case) and remaining broth. Whisk until smooth and then whisk into skillet. When mixture begins to boil again slowly add cream.

Whisk and let it thicken. Add meatballs, cover and cook until sauce thickens and meatballs are heated through. (8-10 minutes) I think at this point I let ours simmer a little too long because we weren't ready to eat yet and too much of the sauce cooked off. I would have liked a little bit more.

We served with bowtie pasta because that is what we had in the pantry and it worked great!

Meatballs
For the meatballs I kind of just threw them together. I used about a pound of meat and combined it with 1 egg, some crushed Ritz crackers and crushed saltines (we had an odd assortment already opened), a splash of milk, some salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I didn't want to go overboard with the flavors in the meatballs since I wasn't sure how the sauce was going to turn out. This little throw together mixture worked out just fine.

After mixing all the ingredients and forming into meatballs I placed them evenly distributed onto a foil covered baking sheet and cooked in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes until they were completely done. Your cooking time should vary based on your oven and the size of your meatballs. Mine were what I'd call medium-large.

Once they were done I just added them to the sauce on the stovetop and let them simmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment