Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Easy Homemade Cream Soup Substitute

I am not a fan of the canned cream soups. Never have been.

I always felt when I was growing up like the casseroles and things made with them just had too clumpy and gross of a texture.

I've also become more conscious of what we eat over the years when it comes to processed foods.

So these two facts led me to search for an easy way to substitute for cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup in recipes. There are so many great recipes that use them and I needed an easy go to way to make it from scratch.

I've tried a few different ways I feel like, but this one is super simple, doesn't take long, and I've been very pleased with the result.


I use it in my chicken pot pie and any other recipes that call for cream of chicken or mushroom soup and it works beautifully! 

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup chicken broth (you could use other broth too)
1/2 cup milk (I use either 2% or whole)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
In a small skillet or sauce pan heat the butter until melted over medium heat

Sprinkle the flour over butter 1 tbsp at a time whisking each until smooth

Whisk and cook a couple of minutes until thick, bubbly, and starting to brown

Slowly add the broth and then the milk continuously whisking until smooth

Add salt and pepper and continue cooking until thick and bubbly and desired consistency is reached

No comments:

Post a Comment