Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Bookshelf Makover Part I


Note: see here for the update!
So we started this project because we needed a bookshelf and this little beauty was going in the goodwill/trash pile unless someone saved it. (don't you just love the overload of 1970's wood paneling in the background? sigh)



The hubby was indifferent to the beat up little bookshelf, but I felt sure with a little paint we could make something out of it. Plus if it all went downhill and turned out badly we hadn't really lost anything but a little paint and time because it was going to the trash anyway. Of course anytime my husband is involved in a project there is no halfway about it. I present exhibit A... "four legs and a top"
Picture
I needed a place to set water, a lamp, books, or other items at night and we only had one nightstand so knowing his inclination to overachieve on building and all other projects, I asked for (and I quote) "four legs and a top". My thought was surely this could be done in one day to at most a week and if I asked for literally "four legs and a top" surely by the time he took it several notches above and beyond it would be a nice, simple nightstand. 

In true craftsman fashion, approximately six months later he completed the masterpiece pictured above (the picture doesn't show all of the details and inner workings). Yes, it is a beautiful piece made from several different types of wood and I will treasure it forever, but I still had no place to sit my water for 6 months... and let's be honest it might have been closer to a year, it all blurs together looking back. 

He was a little busy with other things at the time. In the end, I love it, but it is a perfect illustration of the fact that no matter what you ask for he will go a few dozen steps above to exceed it. I love that about him, but it does make for a long time with no place to put your water at night. :)

So, back to the bookshelf... My idea was to replace the very cheap, thin back board with a stronger but still inexpensive piece of wood and give the whole thing a new paint job. I knew I was leaning toward white for the main body and wanted the backing to have a pop of color, probably in the blue or green family like teal. I was also contemplating a different texture for the back, maybe bead board or some kind of wood planks. I thought we might could add trim across the top to make it a little prettier too. 

I showed the hubby a few ideas and we discussed and then took a trip to the local home improvement stores to scout out some wood. His suggestion was it would look better with bead board instead of just plain plywood and as usual he has good taste on such matters. He used his super powers to determine the type of wood needed and after going through every.single.piece (and no I am not exaggerating) on the stack found a suitable piece of bead board.

We've been working on it some in the evenings and on the weekends and we're getting close. I think all that is left at this point is finishing up and installing the new doors. Of course the project has had some details added along the way as is usually the case. Will follow up soon with the finished product and some along the way photos.

*Note: this post was moved from a previous blog platform, originally posted May 2016*

No comments:

Post a Comment