Thursday, September 29, 2016

Recipe Review - Cream Cheese Cookie Bars

It seems that I am always trying to find recipes to use up odd amounts of leftovers in my pantry or refrigerator. I don't like to waste (especially food!). I had a half a block of cream cheese that has been in the fridge and I've been trying to find something in which to use it. I was also craving something chocolate. Never mind that this particular day I had already had two mini cappuccino chocolate chuck muffins for breakfast (oh my were they warm and yummy - but in my defense they were very small) and a chocolate chip cookie at lunch. Before that I had not had chocolate for quite a while... at least several days, so I was due some catching up.

Enter this Cream Cheese Cookie Bars recipe. After searching the internet for cream cheese recipes that included chocolate I came across these beauties via this Six Sisters Stuff post (I found quite a few interesting looking recipes there!). I was intrigued. I only had half a block of cream cheese and this recipe called for a whole block, but I've never been one to let details like that stop me. Especially if they are standing between me and chocolate. Not happening.

I had a pouch of Betty Crocker oatmeal chocolate chip cookie mix in the pantry and since that was the only cookie dough around, that is what we used. I did notice the original recipe appeared to use an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough as well, so hey we were doing good there!

I was very pleased with how they turned out. In fact, I think I liked this better than I would have with the whole block of cream cheese. I think it would have been too much for me. I was more interested in the chocolate and cookie parts so this turned out just right for us. You could always go by the original recipe and use the whole block if you're more of a cream cheese than chocolate fan.


The lighting in my kitchen is no bueno and I didn't think to take a picture until we had eaten a few, but you get the general idea. You will notice that several are already gone and we'd only eaten them once at this point... ahem. Please remember this is a judgment free zone. Oh you didn't know? Why yes this is definitely a judgement free zone, especially when it comes to chocolate. Grace extends to all areas of life. ;-)

The consistency was nice and gooey without being too gooey (is that even really a word?). I recommend eating them warm. We've just popped them in the microwave for a few seconds on our subsequent helpings. A nice glass of milk or some ice cream would also be yummy if you're into that sort of thing. I had milk with mine since no ice cream was on hand and it was quite good. Below is the recipe for our take on these yummy treats. Enjoy!

Cream Cheese Cookie Bars 
Ingredients
4 ounce (1/2 brick) cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar was in original recipe so I just filled my 1/3 cup half full on this part
1/2 t. vanilla
1 egg
1 package of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough (prepared according to package directions)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Using a mixer, mix the first four ingredients on med-high speed until light and fluffy. (This took a little longer than I expected and I was concerned that a whole egg was too much, but eventually it got to a consistency I felt good about. Might have taken slightly longer than the 2 minutes in the original recipe). Into an 8×8 inch greased baking dish, evenly press cookie dough to cover the bottom with a thick layer - we probably used a little over half the package. Pour cream cheese mixture over top and spread to edges of dish. Break the remaining dough into small pieces and sprinkle over top of cream cheese mixture. Lower oven heat to 325° and bake bars for 35-40 minutes or until tester comes out (almost) clean. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Refrigerate any leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment