Friday, September 9, 2016

Ottoman Rescue

(Updates: here and here and here)
Final update here

The bookshelf project is still underway and I have hopes it will be done soon. There was a small problem with one of the doors and we got a little busy with other things, but it should be done any day now (I hope). In the meantime, I've had this other little project going too. A neglected old ottoman that was in desperate need of attention. It narrowly escaped the load of trash that went to the dump.
Picture

So far, I've removed the old fabric and given the legs a good sanding to remove some of the rust from the metal tips and the top layers of the wood. Next up, purchase some material to recover, paint (or maybe stain) the legs, and figure out how to preserve the "patina" on the metal parts to keep some character and give it that vintage look, but prevent future rusting. You can see the legs in the photo below, the un-sanded ones are at the top and the one at the bottom has been sanded some already.
Picture
Hopefully it will turn out like I picture in my head, but we will see. I have an idea of what I want the finished ottoman to look like, but as long as it turns out nice I think I'll be happy. Even if it is different from my original vision. 

*Note: This post was moved from separate blog platform, originally posted May 2016*

No comments:

Post a Comment