Tuesday, September 27, 2016

White Chicken Chili

I was working on my What's Up Wednesday post for tomorrow and decided it would be a good time to share this recipe since the bonus question was "What is your favorite fall food?".

This yummy recipe is one I got from a friend I worked with years ago. It was one of her family's favorites and it has become one of ours as well. We've done a little tweaking over the years based on our own taste but the basic recipe remains the same. I have made this so many times, often substituting ingredients like garlic powder or onion powder when I didn't have the real thing on hand, and it still turns out great. I've also made it with more or less beans or chicken to adjust the size and I've made it without some of the spices when I didn't have them on hand. In fact I rarely if ever use the red pepper anymore. So basically what I'm saying is it is very forgiving and I love things that are forgiving. I make this every year for chili suppers, potlucks, football parties, you name it and it always goes over well. It is super easy and travels well in the crock pot so that wins big bonus points in my book too.

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients
4-6 cans great white northern beans
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions chopped
4 garlic cloves minced
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles (I usually leave this out)
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp red pepper
1 can chicken broth
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (I just use 1 whole block)

Directions
Simmer chicken in large pot 15 minutes or until done. Drain and cube. Saute all other items in same pot in olive oil, except beans and cheese, for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth and stir. Add beans, chicken and cheese. Stir and turn to simmer. Once heated through serve topped with additional cheese, green onions, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, corn chips or whatever your heart desires. The longer you let it simmer the yummier it gets, but you can also eat it as soon as it gets warm. This chili also freezes well and is great reheated!

*For a shortcut you could use store bought rotisserie chicken

** If you're using a crock pot to cook and not just transport I normally drop in the chicken broth, beans, and cheese first and then add the chicken and other items. You can either saute them in a separate pan before adding in or if you're in a pinch leave out the olive oil and just substitute garlic powder and onion powder, etc. and drop it right in the crock pot with the beans, broth, cheese and chicken. (Make sure you cook the chicken first or use an already cooked one from the store). Once it is nice and hot serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment