Monday, September 12, 2016

Reclaimed

My uber talented woodworking husband loves taking old wood and making something new out of it. (We are a good match. :))

Being in the business of building things often means taking down old things first. Most of the time, or at least I'd venture to guess for most builders, those old things go in a dumpster to make way for the new. My husband being the creative woodworker that he is though, often sees something headed for the trash and instead of sending it to a landfill somewhere decides to give it a new life.

Like this pile of old wooden pieces that once made a lath (I'll admit I had to google how to spell that) for plaster.
Picture
The wood came from a house that was built almost 100 years ago which is pretty cool in itself. Here is a photo of it before #demoday happened and it became the wood pile above.
Picture
And here is what it looks like today after pouring some love, sweat and creative skills into it. 

When he first told me his plan of making so many tiny little pieces and then fitting them together to make this design, I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it. It seemed like a whole lot of work, but his finished product exceeded my expectations as always. (see my previous post about four legs and a top :)).

Once again this shows me how something so many view as old, and write off as having no value, can be taken by someone with vision and turned into something beautiful. I'm thankful I get to witness it and be reminded that redemption and a new life is possible.
Picture

*Note: This post was originally posted on a separate platform June 2016*

No comments:

Post a Comment