Thursday, September 22, 2016

Whitewashing wood

Here is a little project I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to do. My sweet husband made me a piece of wall decor for our anniversary. He cut our last inititial out of wood and then built a frame for it to hang on. The letter he painted black but he left the wood unfinished so I could decide how I wanted it to look. I decided I wanted a whitewashed / antique looking finish but it took me a little while to decide how to achieve that. I did a little research (thank you Google) and decided I would try a dry brush technique. It sounded much cleaner and easier than the other methods and I thought it would work well with the porous wood of the frame. So I grabbed a brush and some white paint and went to work.

I put some white paint on a paper plate and got just a little bit on the tip of the brush, then blotted it off on the plate and started applying it to the wood. I proceeded cautiously, taking my time and making sure I didn't apply too much but spreading it out in a thin layer as I went. After a few minutes I got the feel of how it would go on. I was very pleased with the look once I'd finished and with how simple it was. I'll try to do another project and actually document it step by step, but here is how the finish came out.


I think it will look great with the black letter mounted on it. We just have to get that attached and hang it on the wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment