Monday, October 10, 2016

Reclaimed Wood Decor

Today I'm sharing a little project that I made out of scraps really. We had some small leftover scrap pieces from the hubby's larger projects (wooden crosses, state frames) so I (not liking for things to go to waste) gathered them up and started thinking of what I could make with them.

I got a lesson on how to use a miter saw (look at me learning how to use power tools!) and went to work cutting all the pieces the same length to fit on another piece of scrap wood I'd gathered up. I figured out the arrangement I wanted from the weathered looking pieces. Then I nailed it on the back piece of wood with a nail gun - a very small nail gun.

It took me a little while to figure out exactly what I wanted to make once I put the base of wood together, but then I got this idea. The first three words were relatively easy to paint. I actually painted them by hand without a stencil. I was quite proud of myself for that one! I just took some measurements and gave myself a little guide for spacing.



The state name took a little more effort to find what kind of font I wanted and then figure out how to best make it happen. I painted on one version which I didn't like and then removed it, a process in itself.
I ended up printing off the font I wanted and using some transfer paper to give me a bit of a starting point with the outlines before painting it in by hand.... with a toothpick. Yes, you read that right. The word Alabama was painted by hand, with a toothpick. Don't ask me how I thought to do that, it must have been the Lord whispering in my ear, but even the smallest paint brush I had on hand would not have worked with some of these little lines on the extremely rough reclaimed wood. Taking the toothpick I was able to gently dot it on and spread a little bit at a time. It was tedious and took some time and concentration, but somehow it worked and I ended up with this.




I was quite happy with it in the end as just a fun little project out of scraps!

No comments:

Post a Comment