Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A state of mind

I'm excited to share this little project. I think it is one of my favorite recent creations from my talented husband. I'm not sure how or where he comes up with these ideas but they always amaze me with the level of thought, time, and attention to detail he puts into them.


He used some of the same reclaimed wood from a historic house in the area as he did for these rustic wooden crosses. This time he also used some reclaimed timbers to give it a heavy duty, rustic frame. It has what I guess you would call a shadow box effect where he built a frame, painted a black back drop which he mounted at the back of the timbers and then took the pieces of reclaimed lath with their various appearances and put them together in a pattern he liked across the front of the frame.







Then he took a template he made of the state and used it to trace the outline onto the wood he had joined together to make the front of the piece. Then he cut it by hand. Every.single.curve. Twice actually, once for the template and once for the piece itself. I told him he could have left off some of the tiny little turns and dips and no one would have noticed, but he wanted it to be as detailed as possible. I was impressed he was able to cut all those tiny little areas and that he cared enough to do so. If you look closely you can see all the little squiggly lines here.


 


So far he has finished three different states, so only 47 more to go! HA! He also has some ideas about variations on this same design that he could do. Different shapes and colors, like a nautical themed cutout with pastels and white, team colors for sports fans, different types of wood and framing. There are lots of possibilities. (I've thought of quite a few myself I could have him make.)

   


It's kind of nice to almost always see something I like and think to myself, "oh he could make that". Of course that means I wait a while on it sometimes, but it's worth it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment